Wednesday, June 17, 2015

"...the Joyce Carol-Oates of the African writing"

"...the Joyce Carol-Oates of the African writing..."?? Not a small amount of hyperbole in that but very kind of Short Story Day Africa (SSDA) to prop me up with such compliments. This writing life is tough, I'll take such kudos wherever I can get them. :)

 The folks over at SSDA interviewed me for the Wednesday Writer slot. They asked me all sorts of interesting questions and I tried my best not to let them down with the answers. Here's an excerpt about my so-called prolific behaviour: 


Sometimes I feel embarrassed by how much I write, I look around and see I’m slightly abnormal. I’ve started hiding writing because I fear people will think I don’t take things seriously enough, but I do. Honestly. The thing is I come from a working class background. What this means is that if you have a job from which you earn an income, you must go to your job every day, Monday to Friday, and work. So I’ve been writing seriously now for nearly twelve years, going to my office from about 9am to 6 pm, five days a week. That’s a lot of time to write. I do try my best to waste time on Facebook, but eventually that gets tiring.


Read the rest of the interview HERE.

3 comments:

Monique Kwachou said...

This leaves me feeling jealous and guilty. Jealous that you can write so much and still have fun on Facebook, live, cook, swim. Guilty that I am not doing a better job juggling.

Lauri said...

No, don't feel that way Monique. Everyone does life differently and successfully in their own way. I'm much older than you, I have the support of my grown kids and my husband. I don't know how I'd even cope being at university as you are. I barely made it through for my BS degree!

Joyful said...

Kudos to you for being a disciplined writer. It is the only way to get things done. That's why I never get anything written, lol.