Monday, May 27, 2013

Almost back in Action

I can't believe it's been more than a month since I blogged here. My sciatica was suddenly a herniated disc and then it was MRIs and visits to doctors. Since I'm a normally healthy person it has all been a bit upsetting but I coped knowing eventually I'd have my life back. I'm not yet 100% but I'm on my way. I can't quite sit at my desk in my office since sitting is still too painful, but I can sit up on a sofa with pillows and get back to work. And here I am.

In the meanwhile, I've had a few acceptances which always give joy. One is for my story called In Grace-land, up at the fantastic literary magazine, The Kalahari Review. Here is an excerpt:


The prison band played Graceland, the singer singing like Paul Simon except with a Setswana accent, while the green and white tent blew in the hot breeze almost in time with the beat, but not quite. MmaYaone wiped the snot from the nose of Baby Number Ten and got rid of it on the edge of her skirt. She was tired of sitting. She could feel a drop of sweat making its way down her back. The baby was niggly. MmaYaone suspected the singer was not pronouncing Memphis correctly. The speeches hadn’t even started yet, there was still a full programme to get through. She had no choice but to sit and wait it out. She wished it was over, but she knew it never would be, really. She knew they had a piece of her now, it was the price she had to pay, she knew there was always a price.  


Maybe I've a reason to believe
We all will be received
In Graceland...

Read the rest of the story HERE.

8 comments:

Tania Hershman said...

So sorry to hear about all this, you poor thing, wishing you swift recovery. Congrats on the new story!

Lauri said...

Thanks Tania. Sadly, I won't be coming to Europe in June. I had to give up my Switzerland residency because of all of these back problems. So no chance of seeing you, unless you're coming to Southern Africa. Maybe next year.

Unknown said...

I missed you blogging :) welcome back

Tania Hershman said...

Oh no, so sorry to hear that! Can you reschedule? I don't think I'm heading Southern-Africa-wards, sadly. xx

Lauri said...

They said I can apply again next year but the problem is I was going for a certian project which I hope will be finished by thn.

Sue Guiney said...

Sorry to have just read this...I've been in the States doing lots of family stuff and have been out of touch a bit. But I'm really sorry to hear how bad your back problems have been. I gathered you we're having trouble from your fb posts, but it didn't sink in just how bad it's been. I do so hope it starts getting better soon. Back pain is the worst! Sending good wishes/karma/Love and anything else that might help,

Lauri said...

Thanks Sue. Things are finally improving, I'm actually writing this from my office. the second day back here. Feels good to be back to work. Though still can't sit on my office chair but I've mananged to make a plan.Slowly slowly. :)

Unknown said...

Dumela Lauri, Kealaboga! (not sure how to spell it) Your story was terrific! I am happy to have found your blog. I am married to a South African and have fallen head over heels for Africa.