Wednesday, January 26, 2011

Could you be a Resident Writer?

My Australian writing friend, Elsa Neal, interviewed me about last year's writing residency in Egypt for Blood Red Pencil. The article is "Do You Have What It Takes to Be A Resident Writer?

Here's an excerpt:

Elsa asked me what a writer should do to prepare for a residency. I told her you should know what you plan to work on.
"I had a project I wanted to work on while I was there, a new novel. Before I went I made sure all of my pre-work was done: character bibles, a plot map, chapter outlines. I also got about halfway through the rough draft before leaving. My plan was to complete the rough draft of the novel while in Egypt and I did manage to do that.

....despite the beach outside my window!

Read the rest of the interview HERE.

2 comments:

Elle Carter Neal said...

You're so easy to interview Lauri! When you get back from the UK I'd love to chat to you about that, and also your advice on breaking into television writing.

Elsa
HearWriteNow & Blood-Red Pencil

Anonymous said...

Excellent interview. I can definitely see that the secret to a successful residency is being as organised as you are, Lauri.

Good job, Elsa!